A truly historic directive from the President His Highness Sheikh Khalifa Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, approved by His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, announced the changes in the citizenship law which grants exceptional talents and their families the Emirati passport. These categories of people (and their families) are granted the UAE citizenship under certain conditions:
- Investors must own a property in the UAE;
- Medical doctors and skilled professionals must be specialised in a distinctive scientific field needed by the UAE, have made contributions to studies and research with scientific value in that specific field, have 10 years of experience in that specified field, and a membership in a prestigious professional organisation in that specific scientific field;
- Scientists that are an active researcher in their unique field at a university, a research institute or the private sector, have 10 years of experience in that field, have made valuable scientific contributions, or those who have secured a generous amount of funding for their research for 10 years, and a recommendation letter from a credited scientific institute in the UAE;
- Inventors (talented people) who have had a minimum of one patent certified by the UAE Ministry of Economy or any accredited relevant international body of real value to the UAE economy, and a recommendation letter from the UAE Ministry of Economy;
- Intellectuals and artists (talented people) who are known to be pioneers in culture, arts and other talents with a minimum of one international award in their field of talent and a recommendation letter from the UAE relevant bodies.
This is the beginning of the UAE’s big step towards putting itself on par with many developed nations which promises those granted the UAE passport their social stability and a secure future.